Following President Trump unveiling his controversial new tariff plan, Nintendo has announced that it is delaying US preorders. Originally scheduled to start on April 9, a Nintendo representative has since confirmed this date has been pushed back indefinitely in order for the company to “assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions.” As such, it is likely we will see an sizeable increase in the console’s price before it is relisted.
The full statement, which was given to GameSpot via a Nintendo spokesperson, can be found below:
“Pre-orders for Nintendo Switch 2 in the U.S. will not start April 9, 2025 in order to assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions. Nintendo will update timing at a later date. The launch date of June 5, 2025 is unchanged.”
Nintendo’s latest console has already been the subject of scrutiny–and more than a few jokes–due to its $450 price tag and the cost of its upcoming first-party titles. Following its reveal, Mario Kart World made headlines as Nintendo’s priciest game that doesn’t include a physical accessory. And yet, it seems like prices will only go up from here.
For months now, experts have speculated that President Trump’s proposed tariffs would have significant ramifications for the video game industry. Analyst Daniel Ahmad of Niko Partners stated that Nintendo is likely to “feel the impact” of the tariffs on places like Vietnam and Japan, where many Switch 2 units are produced. MST Financial analyst David Gibson told FT that Nintendo had already shipped more than 350,000 Switch 2 units to the USA back in January in an attempt to get ahead of the tariffs. It was also previously speculated by Piers Harding-Rolls of Ampere Analysis that a Switch 2 “price increase in 2026 might be on the table” if tariffs persist.
Of course some have theorized that these tariffs might encourage Nintendo to produce Switch 2 units in the United States. However, Ahmad pointed out that this would be incredibly unrealistic.
“Nintendo would need to spend billions to open a factory in the US,” Ahmad said. “It’d probably take 4-5 years to complete this. Not to mention the time and cost to rebuild supply chain infrastructure and source components (which would be subject to tariffs because they’re made outside the US). They’d then need to find, train and pay employees to operate the factory.”
During Trump’s first presidency, tariffs did not apply to video game consoles because console manufacturers successfully lobbied the government for a special exception. This time, however, it would appear we are seeing the consequences unfold.
Source link
Add comment